Hot to Avoid a Semi Truck Accident
Truck Driving is arguably one of the most important industries in America, providing millions of jobs and delivering goods to communities throughout the U.S. However, truck driving is also one of the most dangerous jobs, causing thousands upon thousands of fatalities each year.
Table Of Contents
- Common Causes For Commercial Truck Accidents
- How To Avoid Truck Accidents
- Who To Call If You're Involved In A Commercial Truck Accident
When it comes to motor vehicle accidents, few are as damaging and dangerous as commercial truck accidents. Because of the sheer size and weight of these massive vehicles, these accidents will often cause extensive property damage not to mention severe injuries and even death among truck accident victims.
In order to prevent commercial truck accident, it's important to understand what causes them in the first place.
Common Causes for Commercial Truck Accidents
- Driver Fatigue
- Distracted Driving
- Mechanical Failure
- Weather Conditions
These accidents can cause the truck driver, trucking company, and victims dearly. Loss of life, damage, production delays, insurance costs, and medical bills can end up costing thousands or millions of dollars.
How to Avoid Truck Accidents
Here are some ways to save lives and avoid truck accidents entirely:
- A well-rested driver is a safer driver. Don't drive fatigued, it's much more difficult to stay alert on the road when one is feeling drowsy. Pull over to take naps if needed, and make sure to get a full nights rest before driving. Knowing yourself and your limits is key, don't push yourself past your driving capabilities, your life and the lives of other drivers is more important.
- Watch your Speed. Always drive the speed limit, do not risk causing an accident just to get to your location faster. If an accident occurs because you're speeding, you will end up being more behind than you would have been had you gone the speed limit to begin with.
- Pay Attention to the Weather. Keep an on on weather conditions and drive appropriately, this means if it's raining or snowing you may need to drive lower than the speed limit. Don't push your luck when it comes to the weather, accidents during poor road conditions can be that much more dangerous.
- Inspect your Vehicle. Make sure that your commercial truck is properly maintained and well inspected before beginning your journey. Double check breaks and tires to make sure they won't cause you any problems during your trip.
- Avoid Distractions. There are countless distractions while driving, especially during long trips. Keeping distractions to a minimum is key to not causing an accident. Don't use your cell phone, wear ear buds, or eat while driving. These are all things that can be done during a break. If you need to listen to music, try to choose one channel and stick with it until you are stopped.
- Use Turn Signals. Make sure that you're using turn signals when changing lanes, give the vehicles behind you optimal time to move out of the way before switching lanes. Check mirrors thoroughly before making the lane switch along with blind spots.
- Watch our for Problem Drivers. Just because you're following the rules of the road doesn't mean everyone else will be. Watch out for other drivers who appear to be drifting in between lanes or swerving. More than likely these drivers are not paying attention to the road and extra caution should be taken to make sure and accident doesn't occur.
Who to Call if you're Involved in a Commercial Truck Accident
Let's face it, accidents will happen no matter how prepared we are on the road, and when you're involved in a truck crash that's not your fault it's important to contact an experienced Personal Injury Attorney for legal help.
The Roth Firm has a team of attorneys who specialize in representing those who have been injured because of someone else's negligence.
If you were hurt in a commercial truck accident, and you believe it was caused because of the other driver's carelessness, you deserve to be compensated for your losses.
Our attorneys have over 30 years of experience helping the injured receive the maximum amount of compensation that they are owed for their suffering.
Our experienced lawyers provide a free consultation to see how we can best assist with your case. All you need to do is click the link below to get started. Let our expert Georgia Truck Accident Attorneys help you.