Car accident

Who Pays For My Injuries If The Other Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance?

Most drivers pay for insurance each month hoping they never have to use it. Many times, though, that’s not the case as throughout a driver’s lifetime they could be involved in an accident. With more than five million accidents per year, it can be challenging to avoid a crash throughout a lifetime.

When an accident does happen, in addition to making sure first and foremost that everyone is OK, it’s important to start thinking about who is going to pay for the incident. In both Georgia and Tennessee, drivers are required to have liability insurance — this is insurance that helps pay for damages should you cause an accident and someone else’s vehicle is damaged or they get hurt. Unfortunately, even though it’s the law, not every driver follows this rule.

Who to Contact First

If after an accident and it’s safe to do so, ask the other driver to see their car insurance information. If they say they don’t have their information on them, or that they don’t have insurance at all, contact law enforcement. This is going to help you down the road for claims related to the accident.

By contacting law enforcement, the officer will be able to provide both parties official documentation of what happened and their expert opinion about who was at fault for the accident. This is a critical piece of information to have when making a claim.

After law enforcement, the next call should be to your own personal insurance company. Keeping them in the know right away will make processing your claim easier. Additionally, if the other party does not have car insurance, you will most likely have to use your own insurance to cover the costs of your claim.

Can I Take the Other Driver to Court?

Yes. If the other driver does not have insurance and you want them to pay for your expenses related to the accident, you can take them to court. Drivers should be prepared, though, that if a driver didn’t have car insurance, they may not have a lot of other assets either, and you may not get properly compensated for your pain and suffering.

Reach Out to The Roth Firm, LLC

If an uninsured driver hit you and now you’re left to pay for everything, contact the team at The Roth Firm, LLC. Our car accident attorneys can guide you through the best options for your case, just as we have done for countless clients in the past. Our experience, resources, and skills make a difference, and we won’t stop fighting until you get the best outcome possible. Get in touch with us online or call us today at (404) 777-4899 for a free confidential consultation.